Kimchi Fried Rice, Kimchi Kimbap and Hawker Style Shrimp Balls
As much as I love Mexican, Italian, American, and of course, Filipino dishes, I also fully embrace the dishes of other Asian countries such as Korea and fusion flavours of Singaporean food. And what I love most about Asian food is that it can be the cheapest to make, but really, the tastiest and with the most bold flavours.
I particularly love hawker food, mostly snacks in bite-size morsels jam-packed with savoury goodness either eaten on its own or dipped in a sauce, served on a stick -skewered in a row or picked up with a pair of chopsticks.
And although what I share with you all are recipes clearly not at all traditional and really kind of veered away from authenticity. I assure you all that these recipes are as equally enjoyable to munch on as those proper dishes that I borrowed from.
KIMCHI FRIED RICE
2 tablespoons canola oil
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 cup kimchi, chopped
4 cups cooked white rice
7 grams chicken stock powder (can substitute 1 1/2 teaspoon of chicken stock concentrate)
2 teaspoons sushi and sashimi soy sauce (or light soy sauce)
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
2 eggs, beaten
In a large pan or wok on medium-high heat, saute chopped garlic in canola oil for 10 seconds. Add kimchi and saute for another 10 seconds.
Add the cooked rice making sure to break the lumps. Season the rice with chicken stock powder, soy sauce, toasted sesame oil and cracked black pepper.
Toss and cook fried rice for 10 minutes, then turn off heat and immediately pour the beaten eggs over rice, stir and toss. Serve hot with shredded nori and thinly sliced omelette.
* Kimchi Kimbap *
Kimchi Fried Rice
Sliced Fried Spam (luncheon meat or ham is also good)
- Place nori sheet on cling or sushi mat, spread kimchi fried rice, 2 (3/4 inch in diameter sticks) of fried spam and sliced omelette.
- Roll sushi tightly and cut into 1 inch slices.
Hawker Style Shrimp Balls
1 pound raw shrimps, shelled, deveined and heads and tails removed
juice of 1/2 lime (or lemon)
2 Tablespoons spring onions, roughly sliced
1 clove garlic
1/2 teaspoon red chilli flakes (optional)
2 teaspoons oyster sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
canola oil (enough to reach half the height of your fry pan) for frying
wedges of lime or lemon to serve
- Blitz all ingredients together in a food processor.
- Chill shrimp ball mixture inside the fridge for 30 mins.
- Heat canola oil in fry pan over medium-high heat.
- Using 2 spoons, scoop 1 tablespoon each of shrimp mixture and form into irregular shaped balls.
- Fry in oil until golden.
- Serve with lime or lemon wedges on the side.
170 Notes/ Hide
- hobanana28 likes this
- slashmeee reblogged this from goddessofscrumptiousness
- slashmeee likes this
- isetmymarshmallowsonfire likes this
- silviaa-h likes this
- livinglifeawesome likes this
- ourworldofchances likes this
- tori-g-xoxo reblogged this from goddessofscrumptiousness
- alexcandr likes this
- sarang-eonjena likes this
- 3taka31 reblogged this from goddessofscrumptiousness
- gofindyourwings likes this
- bia0829 likes this
- elngrl likes this
- rasjon likes this
- yougotitmadeforme reblogged this from goddessofscrumptiousness
- yougotitmadeforme likes this
- yimtookwan reblogged this from disbitchreally
- auxcheveux likes this
- cravingforyummyfood reblogged this from goddessofscrumptiousness
- tyranitardous-rex likes this
- aaliyahmoonchaser likes this
- lycanthr0pe reblogged this from adventuresinslumberland
- najfustevens likes this
- homosweet-homo likes this
- bottledambition likes this
- honkeymagoo likes this
- coldbloodedandcaffeinated likes this
- adventuresinslumberland reblogged this from shinygoldstars
- cosaint reblogged this from eorn
- eorn reblogged this from shinygoldstars
- shinygoldstars reblogged this from slime-prince and added:
- shitrash likes this
- getmecandynow likes this
- li-chuntao likes this
- blackcatblackclothes likes this
- someduckfat likes this
- beliveinwhatyoudream likes this
- candiceatelier likes this
- 0rpheus likes this
- djaesthetik likes this
- mariesybilgeorge likes this
- abombgoesboom likes this
- tashahaslam likes this
- danielchenphotography likes this
- ocandrew2 likes this
- danicamusa likes this
- zelenebieber reblogged this from goddessofscrumptiousness
- jussstsaammi likes this