The Makings of a Perfect Brownie:
1) A perfect brownie should be crunchy on top that the surface cracks the minute you sink your teeth into it.
2) The texture should be chewy and moist and fudge-like that the act of chewing every morsel of it is equally pleasurable as that of having a foodgasm.
3) A perfect brownie should never contain any leavening agents such as bicarbonate of soda or baking powder (unless you want a cake-like brownie, then I believe one should just eat cake instead). Any brownie recipe that includes these sacrilegious additions is well, a sacrilege!
4) The proper mixing of all the brownie ingredients is also a factor. If you just mix all the ingredients together and dump everything into a baking pan, the brownie top won’t be as crunchy, unlike when you separate the egg whites from the yolks, beating the whites with sugar just until thick and frothy, much like a runny meringue before mixing with the rest of the ingredients is the secret to a crunchy top… I promise!
5) And lastly, of course a perfect brownie should taste like it is blessed by a Mayan god cacao connoisseur. It should be ooh-ing and screaming chocolate. So use the best quality chocolate bar or cocoa powder.
Crunchy Top Fudge Brownies
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup good quality cocoa powder (I use a German brand cocoa powder -Heintz, you can use a Dutch-processed cocoa powder… means it is alkalized)
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs (medium), separated
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups dark chocolate chips
*2 cups whole walnuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 350’F. Line a 9”x13” rectangle baking pan with baking parchment.
- Melt butter in a medium sauce pan over low heat. When melted, remove from heat and add cocoa powder, mix until smooth.
- Add brown sugar, salt, vanilla, egg yolks and flour. Set Aside.
- Using a hand mixer/wire whisk/stand mixer, beat egg whites until frothy. Then slowly add the granulated sugar until meringue gets into a soft peak stage.
- Fold the meringue mixture into the chocolate mixture. Then mix in the dark chocolate chips and walnuts (optional).
- Pour into prepared baking pan and bake for 50 minutes to an hour or until when toothpick inserted in the center of the brownie comes out with moist crumbs (not wet brownie batter).
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes, then lift from the baking pan and cut into 24 square pieces. Cool cut brownies on wire racks.
- Store in an air tight container. Laid flat and layers separated by parchment paper.
Makes 2 dozens
Goddess of Scrumptiousness Food Photography and Original Recipes by Jeannie Maristela are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at goddessofscrumptiousness.tumblr.com
2403 Notes/ Hide
- myheartbeatsandcrashes likes this
- himurosama likes this
- star-shipsfly likes this
- oohmyworld reblogged this from goddessofscrumptiousness
- kit6 likes this
- jenny02r likes this
- waldron2mary likes this
- ambuhr likes this
- twelvteen reblogged this from delicious-nomz
- niggersdontread likes this
- sweetdreams-and-wickedschemes reblogged this from foodgasmss
- themidnighthorror reblogged this from foodgasmss
- ericaaaloves likes this
- jujunigguh13 likes this
- vanilla-oceanz likes this
- soundofthemist reblogged this from 101foodlover
- beautiful-disarray reblogged this from ultimate-food-blogger
- ay-yo-dj-chr1s reblogged this from foodgasmss
- foodgasmss reblogged this from ultimate-food-blogger
- ultimate-food-blogger reblogged this from 101foodlover
- 101foodlover reblogged this from sweetoothgirl
- temporaryfoodblogname reblogged this from goddessofscrumptiousness
- whythatsdelightful likes this
- ohowgeneric likes this
- chickensaladonsourdough reblogged this from 124daisies
- 4miafang likes this
- cassiecredo likes this
- cinzia667 reblogged this from foodistoogoodtobetrue
- memoriesremain-4ever reblogged this from oh-look-its-food
- oh-look-its-food reblogged this from foodistoogoodtobetrue
- strivingforjannat likes this
- iamskinnypig reblogged this from goddessofscrumptiousness
- redpurpleblack reblogged this from needmyfix
- healthy-cheri reblogged this from thankyoufordinner
- needmyfix reblogged this from fuckoffimhungry
- jasminiloveyou likes this
- doctahdarcy likes this
- therunofthemill reblogged this from punkycupcakewhore
- car-lin reblogged this from the-candy-world
- punkycupcakewhore reblogged this from mkayylovelyy
- punkycupcakewhore likes this
- mkayylovelyy reblogged this from thankyoufordinner
- mkayylovelyy likes this
- the-candy-world reblogged this from foodistoogoodtobetrue
- amaichoko reblogged this from foodistoogoodtobetrue
- foodistoogoodtobetrue reblogged this from grumblytumblies
- 124daisies reblogged this from grumblytumblies
- grumblytumblies reblogged this from fuckoffimhungry and added:
- justdoingmythang reblogged this from eatwhileyoureyoung