The Makings of a Perfect Brownie:
1) A perfect brownie should be crunchy on top that the surface cracks the minute you sink your teeth into it.
2) The texture should be chewy and moist and fudge-like that the act of chewing every morsel of it is equally pleasurable as that of having a foodgasm.
3) A perfect brownie should never contain any leavening agents such as bicarbonate of soda or baking powder (unless you want a cake-like brownie, then I believe one should just eat cake instead). Any brownie recipe that includes these sacrilegious additions is well, a sacrilege!
4) The proper mixing of all the brownie ingredients is also a factor. If you just mix all the ingredients together and dump everything into a baking pan, the brownie top won’t be as crunchy, unlike when you separate the egg whites from the yolks, beating the whites with sugar just until thick and frothy, much like a runny meringue before mixing with the rest of the ingredients is the secret to a crunchy top… I promise!
5) And lastly, of course a perfect brownie should taste like it is blessed by a Mayan god cacao connoisseur. It should be ooh-ing and screaming chocolate. So use the best quality chocolate bar or cocoa powder.
Crunchy Top Fudge Brownies
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup good quality cocoa powder (I use a German brand cocoa powder -Heintz, you can use a Dutch-processed cocoa powder… means it is alkalized)
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs (medium), separated
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups dark chocolate chips
*2 cups whole walnuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 350’F. Line a 9”x13” rectangle baking pan with baking parchment.
- Melt butter in a medium sauce pan over low heat. When melted, remove from heat and add cocoa powder, mix until smooth.
- Add brown sugar, salt, vanilla, egg yolks and flour. Set Aside.
- Using a hand mixer/wire whisk/stand mixer, beat egg whites until frothy. Then slowly add the granulated sugar until meringue gets into a soft peak stage.
- Fold the meringue mixture into the chocolate mixture. Then mix in the dark chocolate chips and walnuts (optional).
- Pour into prepared baking pan and bake for 50 minutes to an hour or until when toothpick inserted in the center of the brownie comes out with moist crumbs (not wet brownie batter).
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes, then lift from the baking pan and cut into 24 square pieces. Cool cut brownies on wire racks.
- Store in an air tight container. Laid flat and layers separated by parchment paper.
Makes 2 dozens
Goddess of Scrumptiousness (Recipes and Food Photography by Jeannie Maristela-Gust) by Jeannie Maristela-Gust is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at http://goddessofscrumptiousness.tumblr.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://godofscrumprecipes.tumblr.com/.
2524 Notes/ Hide
- cecnoon reblogged this from goddessofscrumptiousness
- tea-dance likes this
- snorpoke reblogged this from goddessofscrumptiousness
- lancecorporalbutt reblogged this from goddessofscrumptiousness
- lancecorporalbutt likes this
- afullsetofcutlery reblogged this from goddessofscrumptiousness
- yumzers reblogged this from goddessofscrumptiousness
- crazypedia reblogged this from twolittledropsofcoffee
- twolittledropsofcoffee reblogged this from uchihamelrose
- uchihamelrose reblogged this from goddessofscrumptiousness
- uchihamelrose likes this
- wintershadoe reblogged this from goddessofscrumptiousness
- wintershadoe likes this
- drmcawesome reblogged this from coconuttygrey
- nodildos-inthe-gokarts likes this
- whyrenjai likes this
- captainamericaa likes this
- coconuttygrey reblogged this from brokenheartedfestivities
- sarahsari reblogged this from masyie
- ihaweimia likes this
- wanlyanna likes this
- masyie reblogged this from kholif-ah
- misterraindrop likes this
- kholif-ah reblogged this from goddessofscrumptiousness
- the-4narchist reblogged this from sammehbear
- sammehbear reblogged this from the-4narchist
- mistymadonna likes this
- whovianonbakerstreet likes this
- raindanc-in-traffic reblogged this from stayoutofcontrol
- down-the-rabbit-hole-i-fell reblogged this from thetremblingofmyhand
- whovianfighter reblogged this from thetremblingofmyhand
- felixthealleycat reblogged this from xenathefanwarrior
- lifeinicecubetray reblogged this from feministjewishfangirl
- gays---anatomy likes this
- adventuretimelordoftherings likes this
- germex reblogged this from thetremblingofmyhand
- germex likes this
- faerie-prince likes this
- hysterical-sherlocked-tardis reblogged this from thetremblingofmyhand
- spilledinkk likes this
- lxislost likes this
- alansleep reblogged this from myhiddensass
- iamadumbass562 likes this
- sebbysyoungmaster reblogged this from thetremblingofmyhand
- sebbysyoungmaster likes this
- loong-tan-handsome likes this
- stormydarkness1 reblogged this from thetremblingofmyhand
- stormydarkness1 likes this
- torosnipple likes this
- whatchagonnadowhentheycomeforyou likes this