Quick Saffron and Seafood Rice with Chorizo
In a way, this is very similar to Paella, but I do not want to call this even a Quick Paella because I strayed away from the traditional and complete ingredients of the proud Spanish dish and well, I don’t want my dear friend Laura who is very Spanish and the one who sent me the packets of saffron powder I used in this dish to disown me… which I know won’t happen, because she loves me no matter what. But then she is Spanish and I don’t want to commit any sacrilege towards their national dish.
I made this just a couple of hours ago for Saturday night family dinner. And I cooked this as quickly as I can because after a day of cleaning house I just want a very speedy yet quite special dish to serve to my family.
I used basmati rice and omitted tomatoes or any tomato by-product, it’s the reason why I cannot, for the life of me call this Paella… anyways, this tastes delish and whole family was happy.
3 cups basmati rice
6 cups hot chicken stock
pinch of saffron threads or pinch of saffron powder
(in my case, I used one small sachet of saffron powder equivalent to a pinch as well)
1/2 pound large shrimps, shelled and deveined
1/2 pound squid, cut into 1/2 inch rings
1/2 cup pitted green olives
1 foot long link of chorizo, medium dice
1 large white onion, small dice
6 cloves garlic, minced
juice of half a lemon (to marinate shrimps and squid rings)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (for frying chorizo as well as sauteing the onions and basmati rice)
2 tablespoons butter (for sauteing the garlic, shrimps and squid separately)
salt and pepper to taste
lemon wedges (to serve on the side)
1/2 cup parsley, coarsely chopped (to sprinkle on top)
- Marinate shrimps and squid in lemon juice, salt and fresh cracked black pepper for 5 minutes.
- Put the saffron threads or saffron powder in hot chicken stock, stir and set aside.
- Place a large skillet (preferably a skillet with a bit of height) over medium heat and add olive oil. Fry diced chorizo until a bit of the fat renders in the pan and mixes in with the olive oil tinting it with a gorgeous red-orange colour. Remove fried chorizo bits from the oil and set aside.
- Add onions into the tinted oil and saute until soft. Add basmati rice and saute for 5 minutes just barely toasting it. And then pour the saffron infused hot chicken stock.
- Wait about 2 minutes for the mixture to boil before reducing heat to low to simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is done (either preferred al dente or just perfectly tender but not mushy and overcooked).
- While the rice gently cooks, place a skillet over high heat, add butter and garlic. Saute garlic until fragrant and soft (but not browned) and add the marinated shrimps and squid along with the green olives. Saute for 3 minutes or until shrimp curls up and turns orange (do not over cook shrimps and squid or both will be tough and chewy… which will just ruin the dish). Set the sauteed seafood aside (still in the skillet).
- When rice is almost done, add the fried chorizo nuggets and sauteed shrimps and squid rings along with the bit of pan juices rendered. Toss the mixture with two forks.
- Top with chopped parsley.
- Serve with lemon wedges on the side.
Makes 8 servings
158 Notes/ Hide
- sooping-for-crumpets likes this
- imaybeforcedtoloveyou likes this
- celinabeanarcher likes this
- secretxunicorn likes this
- gutsbeforetheglory likes this
- kiwakim likes this
- shillahurr reblogged this from goddessofscrumptiousness
- iamskinnypig reblogged this from goddessofscrumptiousness
- aaliyahmoonchaser likes this
- food-tales-and-other-fun likes this
- lilfyers likes this
- dianhpianis likes this
- melaniesoriano reblogged this from goddessofscrumptiousness and added:
- the-rizz likes this
- wh3nigrowup12 reblogged this from goddessofscrumptiousness and added:
- slapjoy reblogged this from goddessofscrumptiousness
- bearbeardface reblogged this from goddessofscrumptiousness
- jaayyse likes this
- tofupanda-kun likes this
- fatlemons likes this
- onerefuge likes this
- ocandrew2 likes this
- dreambigbeme likes this
- munchiesmuch likes this
- wildfire4653 reblogged this from goddessofscrumptiousness
- zeleneminli reblogged this from goddessofscrumptiousness
- viaggioragazza likes this
- traumavong likes this
- windandwaves likes this
- ladymoonb likes this
- esraakhan likes this
- foodsickle reblogged this from goddessofscrumptiousness
- maryzoomoopoo likes this
- frankiepink reblogged this from goddessofscrumptiousness
- honeybadger-posts-what-he-wants reblogged this from lala-kitty
- honeybadger-posts-what-he-wants likes this
- joseetan likes this
- deathtasteslikechicken likes this
- reviviscere likes this
- cookism likes this
- lala-kitty reblogged this from goddessofscrumptiousness
- lala-kitty likes this
- tasteofafrica reblogged this from goddessofscrumptiousness
- heardmagazine reblogged this from goddessofscrumptiousness and added:
- redblackapron likes this
- meanwhile-ktdraws likes this
- slobmaster reblogged this from goddessofscrumptiousness and added: